Thursday, December 1, 2011

Further Dissecting a "Man's" Quarter Life Crisis




OK, so I think I've figured it out. When a lot of guys hit the age of 22 or 23, some after graduating college, some not, they tend to hit their quarter life crisis. A quarter life crisis, much like a mid-life crisis, is usually a sad subconscious attempt to shake themselves of their responsibilities. Usually because they are disappointed where their life is or has not reached yet. And sometimes it's worse if they spend their time around well-adjusted females because they think "Crap, she has her shit together and she's a girl. What's that make me?" It's a process of running away from things instead of facing them. Older men think, oh I better act like I'm in my twenties before I hit my fifties. Younger guys think, I better act how I did in my late teens before I hit 25 or worse, 30. So around 23 they start freaking and turning back into their 19 yr old selves. Which is by far the worrrrst, most unattractive version of themselves. Sucks that guys have so many freak out stages lately. I think they can also hit another minor identity crisis when they hit 25 because they think, I have so much to do before I'm 30! or it's all over by the time I'm 28. As if growing up and becoming an adult is a huge scary burden. It is what you make of it. You can have fun along the way without making an ass of yourself. Don't get in the way of these men without identities, cause they can try to destroy you. They'll deny the pettiness they're going through cause it's clearly a weakness and turn things on you instead if you try to let you help them out of it. They will look to you, and make a list of things they think are wrong with you to ease themselves. Then they'll run off, buy a motorcycle, hook up with a bunch of chubby drunk townie chicks, smoke weed into oblivion, grow their hair out, try a lame career change, move to another state, move in with a group of "bro-ish" friends as if to re-live the glory days, etc. etc., you get the idea. But it's such a clear, distinctable pattern for insecure men it's starting to become nauseating. As if creepy middle aged men growing out ponytails weren't bad enough, now we have to worry about the young guys not having their shit together too! If there isn't already a well-researched thesis paper somewhere out there on this on-going trend, stay tuned... I am, after all, a Boston-based Trends Reporter :)


No comments :

Post a Comment