Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Meet Me in Montauk




I know I've mentioned this movie about three times now in my blog but....I love it. And I've had a couple margaritas today so I'm feeling nostalgic so.....suck it. Let me explain why it's so good: It's Jim Carrey's best performance. Hands down. And I love him but it's the only movie he doesn't overact in. You completely forget you're watching Jim Carrey and instead you just think you're watching some awkward insecure mumbling guy. Which I obviously love. And some scruff and long hair does that guy wonders. Also someone who usually overacts, Kate Winslet comes across as genuinely American and genuinely compulsive (which usually goes hand in hand...mini-epiphany). It's the most realistic love story, teaching us that through all the fights and bullshit and heartache you still want to remember it and you still want to feel it and it's all worth it, just to feel it. Walking out onto the ice, fearing that it might crack, and going all the way out anyways is what life is all about. It also captures the dreamlike state so closely. And the more you watch it the more you understand what the fuck is going on and what the movie is trying to say.
This is one of the last scenes and I'm not a crier but it alwaaaays makes me cry when they re-do their goodbye because they never had one. The movie also has a lot of parallels to my past, right down to Montauk so maybe I'm a little biased and oversensitive to it, but it's soooo well done. I highly recommend it to everyone. But you have to watch it twice. At least. If you're dumb watch it at least 17 times and don't tell me you don't get it cause I'll hate you.

No comments :

Post a Comment