Friday, December 4, 2009

The Gals Who Always Get "It" Right

After voluntarily (and regretfully? still debating...) pulling myself away from my job of shopping for people, I miss my designer clothes and fashion. All the Nylon magazines and Look of The Days on Instyle.com still don't quench my thirst for a good old fashion, well, fashion-fest. If only I lived somewhere where I could wear all my fun clothes every day and celebrate the art that is every day dressing. I'm sick of Uggs, Northface jackets and Longchamp bags. Break outside the mold people. Break outside the mold. Here's my tribute to the girls who always get it right.




Gwen Stefani: My one. My only. The one who had me burning peroxide into my hair in the 7th grade and whipping on red lipstick every halloween. On my 12th birthday I had the experience of watching her with her yellow rose covered microphone with diamond bindi in between her eyes, semi dreaded bleached ponytail and cropped wifebeater, asking the crowd to chant "Fuck you, I'm a girl!". Letting people follow her style with Rockabilly bleached coifs, Adidas track pants, black and white ensembles, huge houndstooth prints, plaid plaid plaid, and heels up to there. I get that she's kitsch and kind of looks like a drag queen at events but I love every minute of it and admit it, so do you.

Ashley Olsen: I admit, I do love the homeless trash can look the Olsen twins brought upon us. And I love MaryKate's flippy hippy coked out attitude and style. But I have to give the "it" factor to Ashley. She carries off the clean Calvin Klein look while still managing to show us something we haven't seen yet. Her hair and makeup are always oh so age appropriate atop an outfit that is always perfection. And anyone that is the main brain behind Elizabeth and James and The Row is a friend of mine.


Kate Hudson: Hippie Dippy done right. The I-just-threw-this-on-cause-I'm-lifelong-friends-with-the-designer-look-but-I-really-just-got-back-from-Maui look. Perfected. I'm biased cause I think I may always look at her as Penny Lane but her love for caftans and umkempt curls and her disdain of bra's, love it. I know she gets flack for dressing like a Golden Girl sometimes but I likes what I likes.




Kate Bosworth: Her Etro phase. Mixing of prints. Love of McQueen. Love of Stella. Love of Chloe. Love Love Love


Hilary Duff: Gets an honorable mention due to her masterful use of scarves and huge earrings. And her hair and makeup are always good. She's always ubergreat from the clavical up.




Jessica Schzor: I flip to Gossip Girl, guiltily, to see some of the outfits and my favorites are always on Jessica Schzor. She translates the look to her everyday life too. Whenever I see a Diane Von Furstenberg shirt I don't quite "get", low and behold she always has it styled some way that I understand and then I immediately want it. Her styling is impeccable. The weird texture of her hair alone is shear coolness. Bright colors mixed with sloppy seconds is one of my favorite looks. You gotta mix the pretty with the ugly. Also for some reason I was going on an anorexic blonde kick there so I had to throw in the brunette to represent!


Whitney Port: Speaking of pretty and ugly juxtapositions I give you Whitney Port. She's the master of mixing the ugly shorts with the amazing top. And I love it. She'll mix a bold stripe with a floral. She loves 80's and early 90's looking floral and bold prints and I'm right there a long with her. It's the old look-what-I-can-pull-off-look. Being the ultimate fan of ugly pretty, I heart her look and her line is actually kick ass. Screw what the Bergdorff's people said on The City. She is one of my favorite dresserino's.



Alexa Chung: Mtv newcomer and stripe loving extrordinaire. Gritty-looking high waisted denim paired with skinny stripes. Enough said. And her faded roots in her hair are def coolness. Gotta love TopShop chic.



Natalie Portman: Making pink fasionable and pulling off a bald head. I prefer her bald actually. Suck on that Demi. She makes Chanel something a little different to look at, for once, and I just love the shit she pulls off. Rodarte rodarte rodarte.



Take note of these girls my local friends. Dress more interesting and maybe I'll like you more. It's also a way to help hone in on your own personal style. If you put all these girls' style together...you basically get my closet but not as expensive. We can't all be friends with Stella.

Celebs whose style absolutley bored me

Megan Fox: Go back underneath the rock from which you came.

Jennifer Aniston: Yawn. Oh, a black dress. How quaint.

Beyonce: Diana Ross already did it. We get it. Texas beauty queen on crack.

Carrie Underwood: Bad white Beyonce rip off.

Taylor Swift: Bad Carrie Underwood rip off.


No comments :

Post a Comment